Scholars are provided funding to cover expenses and a portion of their time (typically 10-30%) and expenses, including travel to two HPTN annual meetings, one other professional or scientific meeting, a skills-building workshop, as well as materials and supplies. Regarding eligibility, please note that domestic Scholar applicants must:
- Be citizens or permanent U.S. residents who are members of underrepresented racial/ethnic minority communities. Persons from such communities who are also of minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity are particularly encouraged to apply. The NIH gives this guidance regarding such underrepresented racial/ethnic minority communities:
- “Individuals from racial and ethnic groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation to be underrepresented in health-related sciences on a national basis.” (http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/wmpd/)
- “This category comprises three racial/ethnic minority groups (blacks, Hispanics, and American Indians or Alaska Native) whose representation in science and engineering is smaller than their representation in the U.S. population.”
- Have experience and/or substantial potential in conducting research with populations at risk in the U.S.
- Have technical background suitable to become involved in a substantial component of the HPTN science agenda.
- Demonstrate plans to work with and be mentored by an investigator actively involved in HPTN research, based at an independent institution or at the Central Resources of the HPTN.
- Have the support of their host academic institutions that would allow them the time to participate in the mentored research program, and to travel as required to work with their mentor and to key HPTN meetings.
- Be within 10 years of graduation with such a terminal degree, first postdoctoral fellowship, or first medical residency at the time applications are due.
- Develop a project idea that is linked with an approved HPTN study before applying to the program. The following studies are available for Scholars to use: HPTN 037, HPTN 039, HPTN 043, HPTN 052, HPTN 058, HPTN 063, HPTN 061, HPTN 064, HPTN 065, HPTN 066, HPTN 067, HPTN 068, HPTN 069, HPTN 071, HPTN 073, HPTN 074, HPTN 075, HPTN 077, HPTN 078, or HPTN 082. Please note that this list changes from year to year. Please note that this list changes from year to year. Please include a working title and references. Be certain that your mentor was somehow involved with your study of choice.
We are currently not accepting applications at this time.
For questions, please contact Sherri Johnson at SJohnson@fhi360.org.