Scholars are provided funding to cover expenses and a portion of their time (up to 30%) and expenses, including travel to the HPTN Annual Meeting, one other professional or scientific meeting, the Regional HPTN meeting, and a skills-building workshop.
Regarding eligibility, please note the following:
- Applicants may be a current PhD, MD, or MBChB student, or within 10 years of graduation with such a terminal degree, first postdoctoral fellowship, or first medical residency at the time applications are due. Please see the FOA below for more information on applying if you are currently a student or otherwise have a Masters’ degree.
- Applicants must have experience and/or substantial potential in conducting research with populations at risk.
- Applicants must demonstrate plans to work with and be mentored by an investigator actively involved in HPTN research, based at an HPTN site or affiliated independent institution.
- Before applying to the program, applicants should identify mentors and develop a project idea that is linked with an approved HPTN study. The following studies are available for Scholars to use: HPTN 037, HPTN 039, HPTN 043, HPTN 052, HPTN 058, HPTN 063, HPTN 061, HPTN 064, HPTN 065, HPTN 067, HPTN 068, HPTN 069, HPTN 073, HPTN 074, or HPTN 075. Please note that this list changes from year to year.
- Applicants must have the support of their host academic or work institutions that would allow them the time to participate in the mentored research program and to travel as required to work with their mentor and to key HPTN meetings.
- Applicants must be able to communicate effectively in English (via speech, reading, and writing).
- Applicants must plan to continue working in the country in which h/she and his/her mentor are located.
- Persons who are of minority sexual orientation, minority gender identity, or from high-risk populations are particularly encouraged to apply
- International Cohort 5 Solicitation/FOA
- International Cohort 5 Application
- PHS 398 Example
- PHS 398 Grant Application
- International Scholars Application Checklist
HPTN Regional Meeting Presentations (October 2017)
- The HPTN Scholars Program: History - Sten Vermund
- The HPTN International Scholars Program: Progress to Date - David Serwadda
- The HPTN Scholars Program: Enabling Independent Investigators in the HIV Prevention Research Field - Linda-Gail Bekker
- The HPTN International Scholars Program: The Experience of International Scholars: Cohort 1 - Jesne Kistan